Whether it’s your first time attending a Military Ball or you’re a seasoned attendee, deciding what to wear to the event (especially if you’re a woman) can be challenging. These events are a celebratory event to honor the military service and unit whose ball you are attending. That means, it’s not about you. So take the time to put together an ensemble that is appropriate and elegant, but also makes you feel beautiful.
What is Military Ball Attire?
Military balls are considered formal white tie events. That means your service member will be wearing his or her most formal uniform. For the ladies, military spouses and dates traditionally opt for formal dresses either floor length or no shorter than just below the knee.
While dresses that knee length (no shorter!) or above are traditionally considered a cocktail dress or semi-formal, there are many ladies that opt to pull them off by pairing it with the right hair and makeup, shoes and jewelry.
What to Wear
- Full Length, below the knee, or knee-length (as long as your booty doesn’t show when you bend over)
- If possible, try to match the colors of your date’s uniform (or at least not clash with it)
- The bridesmaid section often has many options
- A properly fitting dress. This means, you might need to take it to be altered so you can enjoy yourself and not be pulling and taping during the Military Ball.
Advice from real Military Spouses
“Think radiant and beautiful versus hot (save hot for a date).” – Rachele via spousebuzz.com
“Wear something YOU feel beautiful in.” – Jennifer via spousebuzz.com
“As a “command spouse”– as long as we don’t see your arse or your boobs, wear what you want and what you can afford. If you have a prom dress that’s appropriate, wear it. If you can’t bend over and touch your toes without something falling out– not for the ball. You would be surprised how much most command spouses really don’t care if you are wearing a knee length dress, rather than floor length gown. Have a great time!!!” – Jodi via spousebuzz.com
What Not To Wear
- A dress that shows too much skin
- Anything completely sheer
- A dress so short it shows your @$$ when you bend over
- A dress s low your “ladies” are spilling over
- Anything that is too distracting – remember this event is about your date!
- Neon or wild prints
Military balls are glamorous, exciting, tradition-rich, fun events. Enjoy the excuse to dress up and have a good time! If you shop for your Military Gown at Camilles, please tag us and we’ll share it on our Page!